We’re channeling our excitement for summer’s arrival into a master list of must-wears, must-dos, must-tries and must-haves to make the Summer of ’16 the best ever. The Almond Eater will be guest-blogging with us throughout the month, so don’t miss any of Erin’s delicious summer recipes. Today, she’s making a summer snack perfect for any picnic.
No grill? No problem! These Caprese Kebabs are made in the oven and ready in 30 minutes or less. Tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic vinegar make up this easy appetizer–what’s not to love?
There are many kinds of foods that scream “summer”, one of them being kebabs. I also learned that there are approximately four different ways to spell “kebabs”, but this one felt the most accurate to me. Anyway, KEBABS. They’re delicious and a really simple appetizer for summertime.
I’m also certain that you love caprese anything, because how can you not? Tomatoes, mozzarella and basil combine and are drizzled with balsamic vinegar, though I must add the vinegar is optional. The best part of this recipe (in my opinion) is that these caprese kebabs are made in the oven, so even if you don’t have a grill you can still enjoy them.
One of these days I’ll own a grill, but until then, I’ll keep searching for ways to make the most of my oven. If you do own a grill, feel free to utilize that since it may be too hot out to use your oven. If you don’t, I promise these are quick so your oven won’t be on for too long.
The trick here is that you want the tomatoes to be nice and soft, but you don’t want the cheese to completely melt. I opted to cook the tomatoes first, allow a few minutes for them to cool off before assembling the full kebabs with the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil and placing all of them in the oven so everything is warm and slightly cooked. Yes, it requires a tad more patience, but if you want the tomatoes to be soft and the cheese to be somewhat melted, this is what you gotta do, and it works!
If and when you’re searching for a super simple party appetizer, these kebabs should absolutely be it!
8 kebab sticks
16 oz. heirloom or grape tomatoes
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
20 basil leaves, approximately
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place tomatoes on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and slightly browned.
- While tomatoes are cooking, break the mozzarella up into bite-size pieces and break 20 basil leaves off of the stem.
- Remove tomatoes from oven and wait 5 or so minutes for them to cool off a bit.
- Next, assemble the kebabs with tomato, mozzarella piece and a folded basil leaf. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used up and then place the kebabs bake on the nonstick baking sheet and bake for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has softened.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic and enjoy!