“Hey guys, I’m Stephanie from I am a Food Blog. When Aerie asked me to create something inspired by their b&w collection, I immediately thought of panda donuts! My favorite black and white animal is a panda. There’s something so cute about their furry little faces. And, they’re always dressed to impress!”
“These donuts are baked – no messy frying and healthier to boot. Candy melts make it easy to glaze and pipe little faces and the oreo ears are just adorable.”
Panda Baked Double Chocolate Donuts
makes 6 panda donuts
• cooking spray, for the donut pan
• 3/4 cup all purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, warmed
• 3 ounces dark chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 large egg yolk
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 6 mini oreos, halved
• 1 cup white candy melts
• 1/4 cup black or brown candy melts
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 6 count donut pan with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, add the chocolate chips to the melted butter. Stir until the chocolate is melted completely. Stir in the sugar and egg yolk until well mixed. Add the buttermilk and mix until smooth.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until there are no streaks of flour, being careful not to overmix. Pipe evenly into the donut pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until firm.
5.Cool in the pan for 1 minute, then flip the pan and gently coax the donuts onto a cooling rack. Let the donuts cool completely.
6. Melt the candy melts according the instructions. Dip the donuts in the white and let set. Pipe on eyes and a mouth. Gently use a knife to cut slits into the doughnut where the ears should go. Dip the oreos into a tiny bit of candy melt and slide into position.