Erin, the food blogger behind The Almond Eater, is back again this week to help us count down the days until summer. Today, we’re celebrating National Chocolate Ice Cream Day with Chocolate Coconut Popsicles – definitely a must-make on our summer to-do list. These Chocolate Coconut Popsicles are dipped in chocolate and just what you need to curb your sweet tooth and cool down on a hot summer day. Bonus: they’re dairy free and only 6 ingredients!
You know, for being a food blogger, I’m pretty terrible at keeping up with the food holidays. I blame it on the fact that there are several different food “holidays” every single day. With that said, I think it’s fun when you put up a recipe that happens to coincide with a food holiday.
Lucky for me, my friends over at American Eagle informed me that today is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day, so I figured, what better way to celebrate than with chocolate popsicles?
I had been eyeing a popsicle mold for two years (kind of pathetic, I know), and I finally broke down and purchased one about a month ago. Best decision ever? I think yes. Also, if you’re ever debating something for two years, you should probably just bite the bullet and DO IT.
I don’t know about you, but popsicles instantly remind me of my childhood. After spending all day out in the sun, what else was I supposed to eat to cool down? Popsicles were always the answer. For some reason, you don’t hear about adults eating popsicles nearly as much as kids, and I’m guessing that’s partially because many of the store bought popsicles are full of fake flavors and generally just not that good. Yeah, I said it. Lucky for you, these chocolate coconut popsicles are quite the opposite!
These popsicles are:
- Equal parts chocolate and coconut
- Dairy free
- 6 ingredients
- Sweet but not too sweet
- Practically perfect
The cool thing is that you can make this recipe in a blender, so the prep time is only five minutes, if that! Once you’re ready to devour them, you take them out of the freezer, dip them in melted chocolate and gobble them right up. But you already knew that.
1 can (13 oz.) coconut milk
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
¼ cup coconut oil
- Combine milk, cocoa, syrup, and vanilla extract in a blender and pulse for at least 30 seconds or until mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour mixture evenly into popsicle mold and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat the popsicles, prepare the chocolate dip.
- Heat chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe dish for 2 minutes, stirring the mixture every 30 seconds; set aside.
- Remove popsicles from the freezer and follow instructions on the mold package on how to remove popsicles from the mold.
- As you remove them, dip each popsicle in the chocolate mixture and then place on a plate or baking sheet; repeat for all popsicles and then place them back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy!
What are you eating to celebrate National Chocolate Ice Cream Day? Tell us in the comments below!