Get organized and get planning! We talked to our very own organization pro, Web Designer, Ana, on how she got involved in the bullet journaling trend. From class to work to groceries to packing — this new way of planning is more popular than ever! Whether you love list-making, doodling, planning, organizing or just keeping a journal, this fun activity combines them all. Read on to see why Ana loves bullet journaling and how you can get started.
1. How did you first get started in bullet journaling?
Ever since I could remember, I have been writing lists like it’s my day job. When I’m bored, I write lists about anything and everything, for example, last week I literally made one titled “hottest guys” like I’m in middle school or something. When I came upon this trend 2 years ago, I knew it would be perfect for me. I am the kind of person to start one of those yearly planners every January and not even last till February. Now I have been using this system for over a year and couldn’t imagine my life without it, I promise it’s worth all the hype!
2. What do you love most about this new note-taking trend?
The way it makes me feel: organized, accomplished and put together, even when my surrounding world sometimes isn’t. Having somewhere to put all of my thoughts/tasks and do it my own way is very calming to me. Like a journal for a writer, it’s an outlet where I can let out my creativity.
3. What makes bullet journaling stand out from traditional journaling and sketching?
With bullet journaling, you get to personalize the experience to fit your style and needs. You start out with the basic system and make it your own with your special interests, schedules, thoughts, etc. Stripping away guidelines completely… no more needing to squeeze all of your daily activities in a box someone else has made for you. Looking at the bigger picture, it is almost freeing your mind from the ideals of others and giving you space to take on your own.
4. Do you have any tips for those who want to start bullet journaling?
Use the original system Ryder Carroll has created. You can find his tutorial video on bulletjournal.com. You will find all sorts of inspiration on Pinterest/YouTube/Instagram and it may stress you out at first. What helped me get into it was to start with the basic template and expand from there. Helping you take on this new organizational concept one step at a time. This system’s simplicity will change your life, I swear!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- A bullet journal
- A set of colorful pens
- A ruler
- Sticky notes
WHAT TO DO:
- Create a key. Pick symbols to keep track of events, tasks, or notes.
- Forming a yearly calendar makes it easy to remember birthdays, holidays or special events!
- Start it off! Create a page that begins your upcoming month or week.
- Plan out your week. Starting day by day, work out a daily format that works best for your schedule!
- Use the sticky notes to add special lists like grocery lists, things to pack and more.
- Add stickers and fun doodles to create a fun and interactive touch!
- Get creative! Use the bullet journal for recipe keeping, self love tracking and more.
- Try new ways to keep track of your tasks and organize your life.
- Have fun!
Would you try bullet journaling? Share and comment below! For more DIY ideas click here.